Although two months have passed, we went through
so many things already, both nice and not so nice, but mostly nice. So, I
arrived here in January, and thinking that it was warm more or less here, I had
brought with me mostly spring and summer clothes. But, it turned out to be very
cold in the flat even though there was heating. Yet, we discovered a nice and
warm place where we spent most of the time reading and hanging out – our fantastic
sunny rooftop.
Anyway,
the weather started improving in the middle of February and it felt like spring already.
Another
surprise was in store for us. This time it was cockroaches or as we prefer to
call them in Portuguese – baratas! What’s peculiar is that it was only Busra
and me who were seeing baratas in the flat. Tabea was deprived of these joys ;)
So, it looked like these creatures are quite common in this part of Portugal (lucky
us) and the people were not surprised when we told them that we had baratas at
home. It’s probably like having ants or mosquitos. But, despite this, the flat
is spacious, nice, fully furnished and the other fellow volunteers are jealous
because we have a living room! :)
Ok, so
much about our home.
As for our work in
MOJU, I have to emphasise that we were properly welcomed and it is Nuno, our
beloved EVS coordinator, who’s always been there for us since the very
beginning. The MOJU family is quite big and everyone is nice, kind and friendly
and most importantly, the children have already accepted us. The moment I truly
appreciate and I find amusing took place on my very first working day. Thus, encouraged
and supported by MOJU’s social worker, Ana, I helped two schoolchildren prepare
for their geography test. This instant is still fresh in my memory and I will
never forget it since it was my first time to work with children. Plus, there
was also this language barrier which made the task very challenging and
demanding as I could only understand Portuguese in the beginning, but not
really speak. However, I did it, and I felt happy and proud of myself ;)
Apart
from this, my tasks involve not only doing homework and studying with the kids,
but also playing games and carrying out workshops, and last but not least,
attend Portuguese classes. Finally, I also have to mention the Horta (MOJU’s
garden) which I absolutely love. It is situated in the breathtaking Ria Formosa
Natural Park and I go there every Friday with my Spanish EVS fellow Betsabé. I just
love and enjoy the time we spend there as we get to talk about us and reflect
on our EVS stay in Portugal.
Martina


No comments:
Post a Comment