Friday, 20 February 2015

EVS Travels: Sintra

This story is about my very first trip alone and I find it truly funny and unforgettable.
One day I was thinking of what to do the following weekend. Then I thought of going somewhere, so I decided to go to Sintra. 

I got on the first train from Olhao to Lisbon. When I arrived there, I asked a bus driver how I could go to Sintra. The driver looked at me, smiled and replied: "You are in Sintra." Then I realised that, okay, this was the wrong question, so I tried again: "How can I get to Pena Palace?" and then I got on the bus. When I saw Pena Palace, my first thought was that it is a magical palace, so beautiful. Definitely that was. A colorful palace that stands on top of a hill in Sintra against a clear blue sky. The more I walked around, the more it grew on me. The views from the palace are amazing, the rooms inside are filled with history. Even though the weather was rainy and cloudy, it was totally worth it. Hopefully everyone gets to see Sintra one day. 

Then it was time to come back to Lisbon. I would have stayed more in Lisbon if I had had enough time. From Rossio Train Station, I went looking for the hostel. Everything was well. I said to myself “I did it, I was here.” Lisboa is a stunning city and it has so many historical places. I also visited other sights like Baxia, Rua Augusta Arch, Belem Tower, Jeronimos  Monastery, Padrao Dos Descobrimentos, Elevador de San Justa, D.Maria II National Theatre. 
 
The second day I had to go back to Olhao from Rossio Train Station and it was Sunday. I had checked the train time and I supposed everything was good until I went to Rossio Train Station. When I got there I couldn’t find the train to Olhao. And the ticket sales was closed. Again I checked the ticket machine but I didn't find tickets to Olhao. I had to get on the last train to Olhao and I hadn't enough time, so I had to be really quick.
 
But, in order to get to Oriente, I needed to buy a metro ticket and I didn’t have any change, just a note of 20 euros, and the machine did not accept notes. So I said: “God, please help me! What is happening?” Then one man approached me, he wanted to help and I was about to start crying and he bought the ticket for me. God bless the man, I will never forget this, thank you again! Finally I was at Oriente and when I went to buy the ticket to Olhao, I mispronounced Olhao. At first, the sales person was like: “What?” Then I tried a second time, and a third one, and she finally understood me. At last, I was on my way back home and I was sooo happy. What a surreal experience! 
Büşra

No comments:

Post a Comment